Interesting sites in or near Kalamata are the following:
- Benakeion Archaeological Museum of Kalamata, located in the heart of the historical centre of Kalamata.
- Cultural events, such as the Kalamata International Dance Festival
- Kalamata Castle from the 13th century AD.
- The marina and the Port of Kalamata, located SW of the city centre, is the main and largest port in Messenia and the southern part of the Peloponnese.
- The Railway Museum of the Municipality of Kalamata, a railway museum which first opened since 1986.
- Ancient Messene, 20 km north-west of modern Messini.